Friday, March 2, 2012

Blog6




Professor Randy Pausch sunrise October 26,1960 and his sunset July 25,2008. Randy gave his last lecture on September 18, 2007 at the Carnegie Mellow University auditorium. The lecture was originally called "The Last lecture" now called "Achieving Your Childhood Dreams". In this lecture Randy talked about three main points, his childhood dreams some of which included: playing in the NFL, being Captain Kirk, and winning stuffed animals. His second point was enabling  the dreams of others. He ended with Lessons learned. In the following you see some main points and techniques that I pulled from his lecture. Keep in mind  the lecture is an hour long, and I can write forever about some of the topics. I will try to keep it short!

My Comments

Randy Pausch lecture made me laugh,cry but most importantly think. Pausch sounded a lot like my dad, who passed last year. My dad always told me never give up,and through the entire lecture those words were in the back of my head. In the being of the lecture he talked about his childhood dreams. Dreams,where do I start, Randy talked about dreams because that is where most of your goals and accomplishments start. Its very important as teacher  to help students understands the importance of  dreams and to make reference to people who had a dream like Randy Pausch and Dr Martin Luther King. This will help students understand that dreams come true.

Enabling the dreams of others is the second topic of the lecture. We must remember that as educators it is our job to teach others how to accomplish there dreams. The best thing about this is that if teaching is your  passions by helping others you will be accomplishing apart of your dreams. Randy helped many people in his path to success, he stated "that you cant get there alone". As teachers, mentors, and parents we must help our students,children,and friends to stay focused and never lose site of there dreams. The last topic and what I think is the most important, is lessons learned. Life can be the best teacher and if we learn the lessons  life teaches you, then this is called a lesson learned. As teachers we will try many different assignments,techniques approaches to get students to learn, and if you pass or fail that will be something you learned. Learning as well be important as a teacher. Remember as a teacher learning will be a never ending process for you to be prepared to ask questions, your never to smart to learn.

As a educator I plan to inspire students to dream just like Randy Pausch has inspired many people today. I also believe that if you push a student to greatness he or she will thank you in the end. This was a great lecture.

3 comments:

  1. You are absolutely right, educators should inspire their students and help them achieve dreams. You post seemed to be very well put together and thought out. Be sure to watch for sentence fragments. I have had issues on my blog as well with them. Personally, a blog feels more personal than business, so I will get caught up and ramble. Besides that watch out for words such as beginning instead of being and their instead of there. Spell check will not catch these. Also, commas need a space after them; watch out for that. Good luck in EDM 310, we're about half way done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cedric, I agree that we as educators should push for our students to reach their goals(dreams) in life. The lecture was very touching, and I also cried a few times. While reading your post I had to piece together what you were trying to say at times, so be sure to proofread before posting. As Kaylan explained above, we all make these similar mistakes. Let's make an improvement together! I wish you the best the remaining period of the course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Randy Pausch lecture made me laugh,cry but most importantly think." Exactly what he intended I suspect.

    You kept it short. More detail on the specifics of Dr. Pausch's views on teaching would have greatly improved your post.

    ReplyDelete