Sunday, April 8, 2012

Blog#10

people holding hands

 

Do you Teach or Do you Educate?

   Do you Teach or Do you Educate is a video that will make you think? In the video, you will see a comparison to teaching and educating. Although there are similarities, the video finds terms that will make them seem very different. In the video, you will see that teaching is simply defined as, to show how. To educate means to empower, inspire and utterly take educating to the next level. The video gives me the impression that you can just educate students on how to use tools that are giving to them, and they will learn.

      As a teacher I plan to do both, to teach and to educate. After viewing the video, I was trying to understand the difference in the two. I will teach students the importance of learning. I think that teaching is very important, when it comes to teaching students how to read and how to solve simple math problems. Teaching a student to read takes time and isn't something that you can just give them the tools to figure out. After my students have mastered the basics, then, I will educate them on using the latest technology blogs. So as a teacher I don't think  you can do one without the other and be successful.

                                   Tom Johnson's Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home!

     I enjoyed reading Tom Johnson's post Don't Let Them take the Pencils Home. Tom has a sarcastic way of showing just how passionate he is about teaching. I was chosen to comment on one of his post for C4T, at first I was a little confused, but after reading it a couple of times he had me caught up in enjoyment. In this post, Tom was focused more on the solution than the problem. He wanted to give the students a chance to do whatever they wanted with the pencils. Tom is also showing that he trusts his students, because after talking to the students and the parents, he believed that there was no need to hold them accountable for what they did at home. Gertrude was bias to the students taking the pencils home, because of something that was read, stating that pencils will lower test scores for students.

           I think  you can look at the post two different ways as entertainment and educational. Most people think that Tom Johnson post as simply entertainment, because of the way they are worded. I think the choices of words are used to get the reader's attention. The posts are funny, but informative. I don't believe that pencils will lower a student's tests scores, but if you change the object from being a pencil to a cell phone, then maybe the argument wouldn't be funny. I think the post is not just about pencils, at this moment like most of his post, it has a hidden meaning He wants not to just focus on the problems, but find a solution for the problems.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Cedric,

    I enjoyed reading your blog post on the assignments. In your Do You teach or Educate summary, I think you made a valid point. "So as a teacher I don't think you can do one without the other and be successful." I agree, as a teacher they should go hand and hand.

    In your second post, Don't Let them Take the Pencils Home, you did a great job summarizing Mr. Johnson's story and message. You stated, "I think you can look at the post two different ways as entertainment and educational." I look at in a way where as the discussion was about pencils, but I do feel that he could have very well been referring to computers and technology.

    Keep Up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did not understand that Johnson's (Spencer's) commentary was an extended metaphor or allegory in which pencils were computers. Reread the post with that in mind.

    ReplyDelete