Friday, February 24, 2012

Blog5

By Dr.McLeod

     Dr McLeod is a Associate Professor at the University of Kentucky. His Professional department is Educational Leadership. He is the author of the post"Don't teach your kids this stuff.Please" After reading this post I would have to agree that technology will keep your kids on step ahead. As we all know kids should not be on the internet with all the bad things that we have going on in the the world today without their parents or teachers supervision. Dr.McLeod spoke of some great points in his post that should be used as a wake up call to parents today.





       After watching both videos I have mixed feeling about the ischool concept. First I would like to thank Travis Allen for coming up with such a unique concept at such a young age. Travis Allen compared the price of the Iphone to the things that students use in school everyday, but what I did not see is who will be responsible for paying for the Iphones. Just thinking about the budget cuts that he spoke of at the beginning of the video, schools will not be able to afford to buy each student an Iphone. What about the kids that do not have computers and internet access at home? When thinking about ways to improve technology in school today the cost should play a big factor in the planing.

      The applications that can be downloaded on the Iphone would be a great tool for studying and learning. I do not think this would be a great thing to introduce as a replacement to the things that we use in the class today. Although many of the devices we use in the class room today are old they're still what we call technology. I am all for a change in the way we teach our students in the classroom. We must understand that this is something that is going to take some time and planing.


 So many people so many sounds and simply amazing. This video definitely takes technology to the next level. If anybody has any questions about what to look forward to in the future this will be a video to show just where to start.

Teaching in the 21st Century by Kevin Roberts

         I think Robert's meaning of teaching in the 21st Century is one of the most unique and on point views I have watched. Although the same topics that are used in all the videos such as the use of the following: Facebook, Google, Twitter, Blogs ,etc. Robert used the phrase "teach how to use". We know that technology is changing and students are experts on the internet and social networking sites at a early age, but can they use these sites to learn and be productive? Robert's comparisons to engage or entertain also sets his video apart from the rest of the videos I watched this semester. Everyone else is looking at all the new apps and devices they can introduce to the class room and not how we can engage students in learning. This will affect me in some great ways because this is the kind of teacher I plan to be. A how to kind of teacher helps students learn how to work on there own to find resources and be more self reliant. This teaching style  will help deliver great students ready for the future.


 Reading Rockets

             Reading Rockets is a site for parents,teachers,principals, librarians  and any other professionals that work with students. If you visit the site you will find that it is very user friendly. Reading Rockets will help any teacher but will be very helpful for first year teachers like we all will soon be.The site gives you tips on teaching reading to students. The site will also have blog from teachers so you can see how the results of the site works.

         Reading Rockets is a site that will definitely go into my journal for reference in my teaching career. When I opened the site the black history project caught my eye. The site also gives you ideas to use on every holiday that ties to reading. With my major being Special Education a site to teach reading skills would be useful. A little off subject but, I did not think that this class would teach me so much about being an educator. In the words of  Dr. Strange I'm teaching you to teach yourself.





4 comments:

  1. Hi.Even though were post for the assigned videos and website were short, you got to the main point of them all. I like the post on the reading rockets website because I love to read and the site to benefit to me as well as everyone else. The comment you left about Dr.Strange is true, but at the same he's teaching us to become better educators before we start teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Cedric!

    I like your enthusiasm on this blog post. I agree with technolgy changes without overpowering teaching with only technology. As long as teachers have a key role in students life, I am all for improving technology. You also always seem very professional with your blog posts and I enjoy reading them. Also, I have spent a little time in special education and the reading website will do good in teaching those children how to read with all the possibilities of teaching and learning, you can' go wrong. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...how we can engage students in learning." I think you are on the right track to do just that! keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely and utterly agree with you on your mixed feelings on the iSchool project. It is really an incredible idea for someone to think at such a young age, but the planning and details of such an idea would take a dramatic amount of time.

    ReplyDelete