Friday, January 27, 2012

C4T ASSIGNMENTS 1&2- The Principal's Principles



Summary of The Principal's Principles post on State of the Union Address

A Brief summary of Mr. Bernia  post about the State of the Union Address. Mr Bernia agreed with the President statement about teachers matter and that a good teacher can increase lifetime income by 250,000. He talked about how dedicated and creative,the teacher at his school are and the fact that they come to work early and leave late. Mr Bernia  disagreeS with the statement about keeping students in school till the age of 18. He stated "forcing young people to do anything is not the answer. We must, as professionals, make school that engage children. These environments will offer many options, from college prep to vocational education. From blended learning, to online classes, to flexible hours, to traditional learning, let’s engaging teachers in building policy and make our schools places that students want to graduate from." Stop teaching to the test and higher education can not be a luxury where the last to comments from the speech and and he agreed with both of the topics. He concluded thanking the President for making education a priority and the respect that he have for teachers

My comment
My name is Cedric Lett an EDM310 student at the University of South Alabama. After reading your post I was so happy that I chose to be a part of the education field. The comments you made about your staff should be the way that any Principle speaks about their staff, but that’s not the case. Growing up in the public school system I know that we have teachers that come to school just to get a pay check or have the mindset that “I have mine” meaning education “you need to come to school and get yours”. Your right forcing students to stay in school till the age of eighteen is not the answer. We have to become professional and come up with ideas to make students want to graduate not saying that better jobs and self reliance is not a good reason to want to graduate. Teaching to the test is the way of the world, sadly but true. Making teachers use their creative sides to teach would bring a much needed approach to the schools. I enjoyed reading your post and look forward to reading many more. I will do a summary of two of your post and add it to my blog please fill free to visit my blog and add comments the link is below
Date of summary 2-5-2012

 http://mrbernia.wordpress.com/2012/01/24/the-state-of-the-union-address-1-principals-response/

An open letter to Mr. Kast’s class


The Post was a thank you note to a class that Mr. Bernia visited. He talk about what a great time he had at the school and some of the things that they were doing in the class. He read some of their post and said that they where great ways to do a book review. Mr Bernia stated " I have a belief that if educators find ways to provide opportunities for students to have the freedom to create something meaningful, that the results will be amazing" Then he thanked all the teachers that were apart of the class.

My Comment

Mr. Bernia

After reading your post I felt just like I was in that class listening to you speak to the students about technology. Sounds like the students enjoyed you and have had a great time being there. Its a great thing to be empowered to inspire people and after reading some of your blog post you have a great talent. I want to be the kind of teacher that inspires students to stay in school and want to be a teacher. My edm310 class has challenged me more then I could ever imagine. It was great reading you blogs and I have subscribed to your page so I look forward to reading many more.
mrbernia.wordpress.com/2012/02/04/an-open-letter-to-mr-kasts-class



1 comment:

  1. Hi Cedric,
    My name is Cynthia Arrington, a fellow student in your EDM310 class.
    I really enjoyed reading your C4T blog, to include your comments in response to Mr Bernia's response to the State of the Union Address. I also was impressed with the President's appreciation for the teachers and his concerns for improving our techniques in educating the current generation of children. It is more than obvious that our children are in an age of technological growth and require a certain type of creativeness in order to learn. Standardized testing and teaching the test, I agree, or ineffective, however, I disagree that our students should not have to remain in school until the age of 18. What I would like to see introduced is something I call 12+2. Twelve years of primary education plus two years of college.....mandatory and FREE. To me that would prepare a student for the work force and or any further education. Think about it. In the near future, the educational requirements to work at even a McDonald's will surpass just a high school education. Even the Military is beginning to raise the bar. It is no longer the dumping ground for when all else fails. Another point is, look at where our children fair with other students in foreign countries. We are not at the bottom of the pole, but we are certainly not in the lead either. As the most powerful country in the nation, we cannot remain as such without educating our future leaders to carry the torch.
    So, comment back. Let me know what you think. I'm interested in other viewpoints, especially yours.

    Cynthia Arrington
    EDM310
    arringtoncynthiadeniseedm310.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete